Never Follow Trends sits down with Renzo Cardoni, let's get to know him and his brand...
1. What was your childhood like? Where did you grow up? I grew up in the Metro Detroit area only about 5-10 minutes from Downtown Detroit. I loved sports growing up, I played baseball, soccer, football, and basketball. Everybody had hoop dreams but I was short.
2. When was the Renzo Cardoni brand established? The Renzo Cardoni brand was established in 2012. I initially had a vision for it in early 2011 and once I got started I never looked back.
3. Your brand is very unique and exclusive. Sports is tied into your designs. Were you a big sports fan growing up? When did you come up with your initial idea to integrate the jerseys with the Renzo Cardoni "stamp" on it? I've always been a sports fan since I was a kid, watching the football and basketball games with my dad. I graduated high school in 2010 and a couple years later I started the company knowing that I wanted to take my love for sports and create a luxury brand out of it.
4. What was that "moment" you felt your brand gained some mainstream notoriety? When I took a trip to New York and met Fabolous for the first time. I hopped in his Range Rover on some corner in Brooklyn and gave him a couple jerseys. Then 1 week later he had a concert and he was wearing one of my pieces, at that point I realized this is something that could change the way people look at custom sportswear so I continued with the vision.
5. Three words that describe your brand to the fullest? Powerful, Unique, and Influential.
6. Who were the innovators and trendsetters you respected back in the day coming up? Dapper Dan was one of them, Jeff Hamilton and Don C.
7. Favorite sports teams? Being from Detroit my favorite teams are the Pistons, Lions, Red Wings, and Tigers.
8. Favorite musicians? I don't have any favorite musicians because I like a lot of different genres but if I had to choose one, I'd pick Tupac.
9. One person in the world living or deceased that you could have 15 minutes to sit down with and pick their brain, who would it be? Jeff Hamilton, because I grew up around him using the finest textures of leather and creating all these different kinds of garments while always intergrading the sports world since he had all the licensing for it.
10. Where do you see the "Renzo Cardoni" brand in the next 5 years? I see the Renzo Cardoni brand having a storefront, having a fashion show in Paris, all of our collections in high end stores, and constantly getting national exposure from sports to music videos to movies.
11. What's the biggest piece of advice you can give a small business owner who's building their brand from the ground up? Always stay dedicated, always remain focused on the goals you set for yourself. Giving 110% in everything you do because in life the more you give the more you get. If you don't put enough effort in then you won't see the results speaking louder than your words. Lastly, stay away from anyone and I mean anyone that isn't going to constantly try and better you each and every day, removing the negative people from your life can really change someone for the better.
Thanks to Renzo Cardoni, his brand is super dope and we wish him the best!